Saturday 18 January 2020 The first ever DragCon UK was opened today by Drag Race host and Emmy Award-winner RuPaul, who ceremoniously cut the pink ribbon with his Queens by his side, to officially open the first ever DragCon UK.
Surrounded by Drag Race judge Michelle Visage and Queens including The Vivienne, Baga Chipz, Bob The Drag Queen, Blu Hydrangea and Trinity the Tuck, RuPaul said at the glamorous ribbon cutting:
Welcome to the first RuPauls DragCon in London! You look so beautiful and we are so happy to be here Mostly we are just proud because we love the UK.
The opening morning of DragCon UK included the infamous Queens Walk, which saw visitors cheer on the arrival of the Queens from RuPauls Drag Race, who made their grand entrance by strutting down the pink carpet at London Olympia in Kensington.
RuPauls DragCon UK, presented by World of Wonder featured an array of Queens and other celebrity talent for performances, meet and greets, panels and more, including: RuPaul, Michelle Visage, Alexis Mateo, Asia OHara, Baga Chipz, Bianca Del Rio, Blair St Clair, Blu Hydrangea, Bob the Drag Queen, Charlie Hides, Cheryl Hole, Crystal, Derrick Barry, Divina De Campo, Gothy Kendoll, India Ferrah, Jujubee, Laila McQueen, Maria Baleciaga, Mayhem Miller, Miz Cracker, Monet X Change, Morgan McMichaels, Mrs Kasha Davis, Ongina, Scaredy Kat, Serena ChaCha, Shea Coulee, Sum Ting Wong, The Vivienne, Trinity the Tuck, Vinegar Strokes, David Atherton and World of Wonder co-founder and DragCon creator Fenton Bailey.
Drag Race UKs first ever winner The Vivienne said of DragCon UK Drag Race is now owned by the UK, it’s ours now, sorry USA! And all of us Queens have had the most fun at DragCon UK celebrating and showing off what the Brits can do. Its a complete joy to be able to give thanks back to the amazing fans for their support, and there couldnt be a better way to do it then at DragCon UK.
Among the huge variety of activities on the opening day of DragCon UK, highlights included:
- A rocking VIP exclusive performance from RuPauls Drag Race UK winner The Vivienne kicking off DragCon UK on the Main Stage this morning.
- There were also performances on the Main Stage from Denique, Donna Trump, Drag Syndrome, India Ferrah, Poppycock, Scaredy Kat, Happyness, Shea Coulee, Vinegar Strokes and Virgin Xtravaganzah.
- RuPaul took to the decks to DJ a midday dance party on the Main Stage for all visitors and attendees.
- Bob The Drag Queen and Monet X Change brought their hit podcast Sibling Rivalry to DragCon UK for an exclusive live taping.
- Blair St. Clair gave a full-on Celebrity Drag Makeover to the winner of Channel 4s The Great British Bake-Off David Atherton, while Blu Hydrangea brought her make-up talent to the stage with Blus Beats Live x MUA and created the ultimate glowy drag beat on TOWIE royalty Harry Derbridge
- The hugely popular Kids Zone, an interactive fully dedicated space for kids, was a hit attraction for families and included Drag Queen Story Time, a Kids Fashion Show, arts and crafts, a bounce house, crown making, and much more!
- Other activities on Saturday at DragCon UK included Lip Sync For Your Life: Groups, giving visitors the chance to grace the Main Stage themselves, and signings with Craig MacNeil and Sophia Anderson, Donna Trump, Drag Syndrome, Ellis Atlantis, Vick Hope and Virgin Xtravaganzah
Visitors were also treated to entertaining and informative panel discussions including:
- RuPaul and co-stars JuJubee and Trinity The Tuck spilling the tea about life on the set of Netflixs most glamorous new series,AJ and the Queen.
- Craig MacNeil (Whimsically Volatile) sat down with Sophie Anderson (The Cock Destroyers) and Cheryl Hole from RuPauls Drag Race UK to discuss self-acceptance, self-love, and handling the challenges they encounter on their journey in Be Yourself. Bet on Yourself. Love Yourself.
- WOW Presents Plus panels included a Morning T&T panel, where RuPauls DragRace UK winner The Vivienne and runner-up Baga Chipz hosted their hilarious morning talk show and announced they will be working with World of Wonder to create an album called T&T Music Factory where they cover songs as Donald Trump and Margaret Thatcher (download the official artworkhere), while Miz Cracker taught visitors about drag, life and drag life in her Jewtorials panel, and some of the Queens were put to test with fashion basics at the Wait, What? Panel.