After a turbulent first day, DragCon resumed on Sunday 19th of January at Olympia London and our Eugenio was there to record a special episode of The Morning Beam.
DragCon has always been a safe space where people can discover and bring to life their true and unique-self and I am honoured to have hosted this in the UK for the first time. Thank you to everyone involved for making DragCon UK a home for all this past weekend (RuPaul)
We have really enjoyed meeting the queens, and it was very nice to see how happy and nice they were with their fans (and with us!).
RuPauls DragCon UKfeatured an array of Queens and other celebrity talent for performances, meet and greets, panels and more, including:RuPaul,Michelle Visage, Alexis Mateo, Asia OHara, Baga Chipz, Bianca Del Rio, Blair St Clair, Blu Hydrangea, Bob the Drag Queen, Charlie Hides, Cheryl Hole, Crystal, Derrick Barry, Divina De Campo, Gothy Kendoll, India Ferrah, Jujubee, Laila McQueen, Maria Baleciaga, Mayhem Miller, Miz Cracker, Monet X Change, Morgan McMichaels, Mrs Kasha Davis, Ongina, Scaredy Kat, Serena ChaCha, Shea Coulee, Sum Ting Wong, The Vivienne, Trinity the Tuck, Vinegar Strokes, David AthertonandWorld of Wonder co-founderandDragConcreatorFenton Bailey.
The reception given from everyone here at DragCon UK has once again made us realise how fortunate we are to be a part of this ever-evolving and growing communitysaidWorld of WondersFenton Bailey.We announced and previewed two new original shows, Untitled Trinity the Tuck Project and God Shave The Queens to our expanding catalogue on WOW Presents Plus and we will continue to bring thought-provoking and original content to the platform. We are thankful to everyone involved and cant wait to see everyone in the future.
Among the huge variety of activities across the DragCon UK weekend, highlights included:
- A rocking VIP exclusive performance fromRuPaulsDrag Race UKwinnerThe Viviennekicking offDragCon UKon the Main Stageon Saturday morning.
- There were performances on theBud Lightsponsored Main Stage across the weekend fromBaga Chipz,Denique, Donna Trump, Drag Syndrome, India Ferrah, Poppycock, Scaredy Kat, Happyness, Serena Chacha, Shea Coulee, Sum Ting Wong, The Frock Destroyers, Vinegar StrokesandVirgin Xtravaganzah, as well as a guest performance from former S Club 7 starTina Barrett.
- On both Saturday and SundayRuPaultook to the decks toDJ a midday dance partyon the Main Stage for all visitors and attendees.
- Bob The Drag QueenandMonet X Changebrought their hit podcastSibling Rivalryto DragCon UK for an exclusive live taping.
- Bob The Drag Queen had plenty to say about the UK: The real Queen of England is The Vivienne; Hamptons in America are really really posh, here not so much; I love Primark its the greatest treasure in the world
- Blair St. Clairgave a full-onCelebrity Drag Makeoverto the winner of Channel 4sThe Great BritishBake-OffDavid Atherton,whileBlu Hydrangeabrought her make-up talent to the stage withBlus Beats Live X MUAand created the ultimate glowy drag beat on TOWIE royaltyHarry Derbridge.And talking more glam was sponsorPOP Beautyscreative directorSara Strandwho discussed the power of self-expression through make up, with superQueens Laila McQueenandMariah Paris Balenciaga.
- The hugely popularKids Zone,an interactive fully dedicated space for kids, was a hit attraction for families, and includedDrag Queen Story Time,arts and crafts, a bounce house, crown making, and much more!The Kids Fashion Showalso took place on the Main Stage and saw kids of all ages vogueing, strutting and being their best self.
- Other activities at DragCon UK includedLip Sync For Your Life: SinglesandLip Sync For Your Life: Groups, giving visitors the chance to grace the Main Stage themselves, and there were signings a plenty withCheryl Hole,Craig MacNeilandSophia Anderson, Donna Trump, Drag Syndrome, Ellis Atlantis,Harnaam Kaur,Tina Barrett,Vick HopeandVirgin Xtravaganzah.
- Two new original shows were announced for WOW Presents Plus,Untitled Trinity the Tuck ProjectandGod Shave The Queens
- Untitled Trinity the Tuck Project: Trinity The Tuck”,RuPaul’s Drag Race All StarsSeason 4 Winner, is the NEW owner of the Florida – Entertainer of the Year Pageant. Since 1991, a nationwide competition has provided a platform where legendary queens like Trinity, Alyssa Edwards, Nina West, and Shangela got their start way before TV and social media catapulted them into ultra-fame.Trinity is looking to bring prestige back to the ecosystem that trained her to win. She’s putting her reputation on the line as she works to inspire the next generation of drag pageant competitors.All set against the backdrop of America’s South, well watch Trinity and five competing queens as they rehearse and prepare for the Florida regional pageant BUT WHO will take the Regional torch and go on the road with “Coach Trinity for the coveted crown at Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky?
- God Shave The Queens: Featuring our beloved first ever cast ofRuPauls Drag Race UKand the legendary Alyssa Edwards as they roll non-stop through the United Kingdom LIVE on tour with an exclusive six-nights (or cities) event. Tune in to get a front row seat to see never-before-seen performances, backstage life on the road, wicked fun and of course all the drama without having to book yourself a first-class trip across the pond.
Visitors were also treated to entertaining and informative panel discussions across the weekend including:
- RuPauland co-starsJujubeeandTrinity The Tuckspilling the tea about life on the set of Netflixs most glamorous new series,AJ and the Queen.
- Visitors also got a tasterofRuPauls Drag Race LIVE!withan exclusive panel featuring cast membersAsia O’HaraandDerrick Barrywho discussed the upcoming show, which will debut at Flamingo in Las Vegas on 30thJanuary, and in aRuTalksspecial,RuPaulsat down for a chat with 80s pop iconsBananarama.
- Quotes from the RuPauls Drag Race LIVE! Panel from Derrick Barry about the Las Vegas show included: Its going to be the first time where the audience feel like theyre watching a live show of Drag Race; Lady Gaga and Celine Dion want to come and see our show the show is bringing stars back to life
- There were laughs a plenty when actor and comedianDaniel Franzesebrought stand-up comedy toDragCon UKwith some of the funniest emerging LGBTQ+ talent in the UK at his panelDanny Franzese & The House of Glen Coco, whileMichelle VisageandGiovanni Pernicediscussed their friendship at theirTV Friendships That Last Foreverpanel.
- Drag has always had an influence on the music industry, even more so now then ever before, which was explored in theRock NDrag: How Drag Influenced My Musicpanel, with Queens and special musical guests talking about their experiences in the music industry
- Visitors were also treated to a panel of camp Queens for a lot of funny, a little bit of clever and a lot of weird atThe Great British Camppanel.
- Craig MacNeil (Whimsically Volatile)sat down withSophie Anderson (The Cock Destroyers)andCheryl HolefromRuPauls Drag Race UKto discuss self-acceptance, self-love, and handling the challenges they encounter on their journey inBe Yourself. Bet on Yourself. Love Yourself.
- WOW Presents Pluspanels included a Morning T&T panel, whereRuPauls DragRace UKwinnerThe Vivienneand runner-upBaga Chipzhosted their hilarious morning talk show and announced they will be working with World of Wonder to create an album calledT&T Music Factorywhere they cover songs as Donald Trump and Margaret Thatcher(download the official artworkhere),whileMiz Crackertaught visitors about drag, life and drag life in herJewtorialspanel, and some of the Queens were put to the test with fashion basics at theWait, What?Panel.Mrs Kasha Davisalso broughtfan-favoriteWOW Presents PlusshowThis is Shit!toDragCon UKwith special guestBrock McGillis,andCheryl HoleandJujubeetooted or booted to great amusement at theFashion Photo RuViewpanel.
- Quotes from Baga Chipz at the Morning T&T panel included: I did Margaret Thatcher because shes a bastwitch; We had to stop filming[during the Snatch Game onRuPauls DragRace UK]as Ru couldnt stop laughing; Im the most famous woman in Britain now they did a poll at Greggs and Megan Markle was number 2. Im the new Diana